I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Give me one good reason. That phrase has often served as my mantra over the years. As an unswerving pragmatist, I've always been compelled to seek a WHY for every WHAT. I don't mind doing the most menial tasks if there is a good reason why.

I've never lost this pragmatic perspective in my involvement with the church, the body of Christ. Perhaps, to the annoyance of others, I've often sounded like a little child, forever asking, "why?'. Mindless rituals and traditions have little appeal to someone like me who needs a good reason for everything. So, it comes as a breath of fresh air when I can read purposeful statements such as this:

"I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth." (1 Timothy 3:15)

In one short verse, Paul answers a couple of my pressing 'why's'. "Why did you write this letter, Paul?" "For you to know how to live as a member of the church, the body of Christ." "Why is there a church anyway?" "To support and exemplify truth."

With the great purpose statement of verse 15 in mind, the rest of 1 Timothy 3 makes far more sense. Most of the chapter is about qualifications of elders and deacons - church leaders - and those qualifications are mostly about character. Ultimately, these are essential qualifications for all believers - people of character who support truth in word and deed.

If I understand Paul's words here, then, our purpose is that of being a people of truth. Truth is to be total life integration, in how we live and what we say. We become "the pillar and support of the truth" as people of integrity and character.

I have a long way to go in my journey toward this high ideal, but at least I have a compelling 'why'. Overcoming character flaws is a worthy pursuit if the goal is to be a "pillar and support of the truth."

May we each press on in pursuit of this worthy goal.

Steve

© 2010, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home