I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nothing is quite so near and dear to us as the sound of our name, especially when spoken lovingly by those nearest to us. Much as we love the sound of our name, I wonder how much it really reveals about our true self. Unlike ancient times, parents today generally select names for their children based on what's popular rather than what's descriptive. Although I've never discussed it with my parents, I doubt that they selected my name because it means "crown".

It recently occurred to me that every single member of the human race has a name that has been given to them. Our Creator and Father, however, has a name that He personally selected to identify Himself. Of all names, this one is most important because of Who it belongs to, and the meaning it conveys.

"And now this commandment is for you, O priests. 'If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,' says the LORD of hosts, 'then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart.'" (Malachi 2:1-2)

Our Father places a premium on honoring His name. He clearly stated such in the Ten Commandments: "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." (Exodus 20:7). That name, of which LORD is substituted, is pronounced, "Yahweh". Know that it refers to the One who uniquely is the self-existing One; the I AM. Speak it lovingly and reverently, with all the honor and respect due it. But above all, know that it is the name of the One who is your Father, through His Son - your Savior, Jesus the Christ.

How we give honor to His name is the solemn privilege and responsibility of all who know His name. Never speak it flippantly, but never deny that it is the true descriptive name of your Father. Do not dishonor it as the people of Israel did, to whom Malachi wrote. As those who bore His name, they largely dishonored the name through their conduct and behavior. Honoring His name is a matter of both speech and character.

I freely confess that I'm not certain as to how I specifically honor the name of my Father. But this much I do know: His name is not "God" or "LORD", but Yahweh. I sparingly speak and write this holy name out of respect, but I readily acknowledge that it is His true name. And I seek to honor The Name through my lifestyle, as one called by His name.

I delight to hear my name lovingly spoken. May we bring delight to our Father by calling Him by His name, and by honoring His name through how we live.

Steve

© 2010, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home