I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, April 20, 2009

"Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)

The measure of our lives is in what we love. That's why the greatest commandments are to "LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' ... and `LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'" (Matthew 22:37,39). It's also why Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth." (Matthew 6:24)

That which we love we invest in. That is the rationale for the statement by Jesus that "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21). Investments of time, money and energy flow to that which we love. Which takes us back again to Proverbs 4:23 - guard your heart, because life energy and resources will follow what we love.

Some people literally love their jobs. I've known people who loved their jobs so much that they sacrificed their families and marriages. I've known zealous patriots who seemed to love their country more than their Savior. But then seeing misplaced affection in others is easier to see than in my own life. I used to find immense satisfaction in woodworking. I spent countless hours in my workshop crafting projects at the cost of time with my family - hardly an equitable trade.

Our hearts are like magnets: they will attach themselves to something; it's just a matter of what that will be. And from their our life force - "the springs of life" - will flow to it.

The challenging question for each of us to consider today is: What do I love that I am investing in? Is my heart attached to something of the world, or is it truly attached to the King & the Kingdom? Only honest introspection before the Lord will yield the true answer.

I sometimes fear that I love comfort and ease. Something within yearns for daring and adventure, like that of the early Christian pioneers such as Paul and the apostles, but a love of comfort seems to pull me back. Yet love for a genuine adventure with the Lord beckons.

May we each seek the sentry of God's Holy Spirit to stand guard over our hearts and direct our affections - and ultimately our life investment - toward the things that best serve the purposes of the Kingdom and the King.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home