I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, April 06, 2009

I'll venture to declare ingratitude the great sin of our day. It is an inherent danger to those who are blessed with abundance, as are even the poorest among us. But ingratitude is easily cured when we focus on specific reasons for gratitude. Here are five specifics to add to your "gratitude quotient":

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle." (Psalm 103:1-5)

The Lord Yahweh, our Father, pardons ... heals ... redeems ... crowns ... and satisfies. That seems to be an all-inclusive list pertaining to all that we could ever need or want. Our greatest and most basic need is for redemption and restoration, which He richly supplies. Not only that, He goes so far as to "crown" us with lovingkindness and compassion and satisfy us with good things all our years. In essence, He has lifted us from the pit of despair and elevated us to the most exalted position. God is good!

If a "prescription" is needed to cure ingratitude, I recommend Psalm 103. Read as necessary. Apply liberally. Prescription may be refilled as often as needed.

I remember a phrase I often heard a good friend use in prayer several years ago: "Father, I thank You that Your thoughts toward us are thoughts of peace and love." No doubt Psalm 103 served as the basis for this expression in prayer. Make no mistake: God exacts judgment and vengeance on those who reject Him and His plan but, to those who accept and live within His grace, He deals with us in peace and love.

My "gratitude quotient" is greatly expanded when I think of specific ways that God has pardoned, healed, redeemed, crowned, and satisfied me. And my most intense efforts to recall His blessings will have barely scratched the surface. Little wonder that the Psalmist calls out to "Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name."

May this day be a day of wholehearted thanks and blessing to the God who has blessed us beyond measure.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home