I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The old song is cliché but true: "people who need people are the luckiest people in the world". Fact is, we need people and are greatly enriched by genuine friendships.

The friendship of King David and Jonathan is legendary. Although Jonathan's father, King Saul, chose to become an enemy of David, these two men enjoyed the closest possible friendship. It is said of Jonathan's love for David that "he loved him as he loved his own life" (1 Samuel 20:17)

Genuine friendship is one of God's great gifts. At the risk of sounding sentimental and nostalgic, David and Jonathon's friendship caused me to recount the special people who have genuinely and selflessly befriended me over the years. There are those who have - and still do - pray for my spiritual growth. There were the men whom I regularly walked with in the morning over several years who were supportive listeners when I needed to talk and unburden myself of concerns. There have been those who deliberately included me in fun activities to help keep me balanced. And there are those who have been friends since college whose friendship remains constant and steady.

A large part of the Kingdom of God is relationships. After all, we won't be in the Kingdom alone; we'll be surrounded by family - brothers and sisters in Christ. And the older I get the more clearly I the church in this light - it is designed to be a living demonstration today of the Kingdom relationships of the Age To Come. I sense this was a major part of the dynamic of the Church in Acts that turned the world upside down - "everyone keep feeling a sense of awe" (Acts 2:43).

I am more convinced than ever that a Christian community today that evidences relationships characteristic of the Kingdom of God will be a magnetic fellowship. People desperately want genuine friendships like that of David and Jonathan and will zealously pursue opportunities for such.

Biblical truth must be the foundation for all Christian relationships and fellowships but nothing is more compelling than truth in action; truth being "fleshed out" in genuine relationships. Truth in action through relationships becomes the most powerful witness of all, according to Jesus:

"I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; "that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me." (John 17:20-21)

May today be a celebration of genuine Christian friendships as well as an opportunity to further develop a powerful witness through cultivating friendships that demonstrate the Kingdom.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home