I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, March 16, 2009

We are presently living in a "give up economy" - we're giving up jobs, house values, retirement funds, etc. But no matter how much it seems we are giving up, we are gaining far more than we can comprehend.

"Jesus said, "Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel's sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life." (Mark 10:29-30)

Regardless of the economy over the years, I can truly say that I have gained far more than I have ever given up. Years ago, when I committed my life to pastoral ministry some of my first thoughts were of all that I would forego in this life - "success", riches, owning a home, proximity to family, etc. Reflecting back on thirty years of service, I clearly see that I have gained far more than I could have ever imagined - houses, financial resources, family. It is a journey that I absolutely wouldn't trade anything for.

It hasn't always been easy; after all, Jesus did promise "persecutions". I've experienced opposition and unpopularity but nothing compared to God's faithful people recorded in Scripture.
I'm confident that all who have given up of the world's blessings and security for the sake of the Kingdom have ultimately received far more. No doubt you and countless others can add voice to mine in testifying that we have received "a hundred times as much now in the present age". Granted, we didn't "sign up" for these added benefits but we are thankful for them.

In any economy there is one value that remains constant and it is worth far more than the "hundred times" blessings of this age - "in the age to come, eternal life." Blessings one hundred times over in this age do not even begin to compare with eternal life in the age to come!

Serve faithfully today, family of God. Surely you are being rewarded in this life even as you anticipate the ultimate gift of life in the age to come. There is joy in the journey even as there is unspeakable joy to come.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home