I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, April 13, 2009

What would you ask of God if He said He would give you anything you asked? That's a tough call, huh? Would you choose wealth? Fame? Long life? A life of leisure?

This was the very question posed by God to King Solomon:

"In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream at night; and God said, "Ask what you wish me to give you." (1 Kings 3:5)

Solomon chose wisdom in discerning justice (1 Kings 3:9) and, as an added bonus, God chose to add riches and honor as well (verse 13). There was much wisdom in choosing wisdom.

As I ponder God's offer to Solomon I realize how much I also desire that which is best for God's people. My heart cry is, "God, give me wisdom in knowing what to bring of Your word to Your people, and how best to do that!" As a pastor I'm forever humbled by the task of "accurately handling God's word" (2 Timothy 2:15). As such, I identify with Paul's words: "I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God." (1 Corinthians 2:3-5)

The words that unfold on this page as I write come from a deep heart's desire that every reader might know Jesus the Christ as Lord in the most intimate, personal way possible, and thoroughly know and understand His "magnificent obsession", the Kingdom of God. The great joy of my life would be that the Lord would use me in even a small way to assist you in these all-important objectives.

What do you want from our Father more than anything else? I believe God's offer to Solomon is still "on the table" for His people today. It has been well rephrased by our Lord Jesus: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33)

Seek wholeheartedly that which our Father earnestly desires to give.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home