I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It won't show up on an x-ray, heart scan, or in surgery but it's there. There's a highway in your heart.

"How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, In whose heart are the highways to Zion!" (Psalm 84:5)

No, there isn't a literal highway in our hearts, but the genuine seeker has set his/her heart on "the highways to Zion" - the roads leading to the presence of God.

Psalm 84 is a Psalm about the annual pilgrimage up to Jerusalem for the holy festival. It was much anticipated by the sincere seeker because it was a very real encounter with God in His dwelling place. Thus he could say, "My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God." (Psalm 84:2)

Most of us eagerly anticipate an annual vacation trip. Perhaps your family ritual is a trip to the beach, or to a mountain get-away. Whatever it is you do, no doubt you long for that refreshing get-away. Now, imagine that same anticipation for an encounter with the Living God, Yahweh. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch for most of us us; it may not be so easy to relate an anticipated vacation to time with our Father.

Regardless of the level of anticipation, I'll dare say that "the highways to Zion" are in our hearts. We long for the trip in to the Kingdom of God when Jesus returns and we long to realize that to some degree in our lives today. We want more than the world offers today; we want to journey into the eternal in some form now.

It's been a recurring theme with me lately and, at the risk of sounding redundant, I'll mention it here again: I'm finding real blessings in time alone in silence with the Father. No agenda, no prayer list; no discussion I come to initiate. I'm there to simply seek to be still enough to hear His still small voice. I'm finding that I look forward to the "highways" of my life leading to that time alone with my Father.

Seek out the "highways to Zion" today. As you live in anticipation of the ultimate highway to the New Jerusalem, take time to travel the highway that leads to intimacy with your Father and His Son, our Lord Jesus. It's a trip you'll never regret taking.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home