I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Call it the age of anxiety. Today's leading economic indicators are directly linked to the stress levels many people are experiencing. But the divine design is for peace, not anxiety.

"the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:26-27)

Peace is dependent upon that which we learn through the Holy Spirit. The main mission of Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth (John 15:13), is to thoroughly instruct us and remind us of the teachings of Jesus. That knowledge liberates us from the anxiety and trouble characteristic of this age.

Perhaps no Scripture could be more timely in our present age than John 14:26-27. While so many in the world are suffering from stress because of the current economic climate, the people of God have a great opportunity to witness through their abiding peace. God's people are as much affected by job losses and pay cuts as anyone, but perspective makes all the difference. People of faith with an eternal perspective know that their God far exceeds the limitations and losses in this or any age.

As a bivocational pastor several years ago I knew job loss and strained resources. Amidst those difficulties I found myself focusing far more on current conditions rather than the instructive teaching of Holy Spirit. Stress and anxiety characterized my life rather than peace and serenity. Yet during that time Holy Spirit instructed me at a deeper level than I had ever known concerning the truth of John 14:26 - "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." The only true antidote for anxiety during those dark days was to recite this verse, and it literally became my peace.

None are immune to trouble and anxiety, but the instructive work of Holy Spirit leads us progressively in the paths of peace. Submit to the Teacher today as you devote yourself to study of Scripture and experience the peace that passes all understanding. That peace can be a powerful witness to your stressed coworkers, neighbors, and family members.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home