I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New paths present new vistas. We won't see different scenery if we always travel the same path. For years I've followed a simple Bible reading plan but recently I felt a need for a change. The Book of Numbers that I had been reading is part of God's inspired word but it just isn't what I need right now. So, I sat silently before God and asked Him to direct me to a passage of study. I soon felt these words impressed upon me: "consider the priorities Paul pointed out to Timothy". That prompting led me to 1 & 2 Timothy where I've thus far discovered some key priorities.

Dealing with deceptive teaching is first on Paul's list: "As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith." ( 1 Timothy 1:3-4 )

There is a vast array of subjects that can become the focus of Christian teaching and study. The key is to focus on the top priorities; that which coincides with the great plan of God in
"furthering the administration of God which is by faith". Speculative teaching about who the antichrist will be and how present-day events factor into the return of Christ may be interesting but are not worthy of concentrated focus. That which clearly pertains to "the administration of God" must be front and center, and that phrase largely refers to the kingdom of God plan. It seems that the best antidote to deceptive teaching is clear teaching on the truth about the kingdom; sadly, a much-neglected subject.

People have asked, "Is it really that important that we understand what Jesus taught about the kingdom? Isn't it enough to just believe in Jesus?" The best answer I can offer is to encourage study of the four gospels. Is it possible to learn about Jesus and not see His priority on the kingdom? Does His 3-1/2 year obsession with teaching and demonstrating the kingdom reveal anything to us about our study and teaching priority? I think you know the answer.

The best deception preventative is focus on indisputable truth. I've recommended to more people than I can recall that they study the four gospels and carefully note every mention of Jesus about the kingdom and to consider the question, "What did Jesus mean when He spoke about the kingdom of God/kingdom of heaven?" The answers to this question will literally be life changing.

What is the focus of your study? Speculative topics are interesting but can easily become the enemy of the best - the established indisputable truth. May your reading and study be focused on the key priorities of God's truth.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home