I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, November 06, 2008

I participated in the "silent witness" program. It wasn't deliberate participation, mind you. It was the way I chose to live my life in high school. Sure, people who knew me knew that I was a Christian and involved in a local church but I did anything but advertise my faith. I wouldn't call it denial, per se, but in reality it was in the most subtle way.

The "bull-in-a-china-shop" Apostle Peter was anything but subtle in everything he did, including his denial of Jesus. His very public denials no doubt shook him to the very core of his being. In an instant prideful self-reliance melted into remorse and deep regret. He no longer saw himself as a faithful disciple, but rather a disgraced outsider. But it all changed just as quickly as it began.

"So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Tend My lambs." He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Shepherd My sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Tend My sheep." ( John 21:15-17 )

Three times Jesus gave Peter the opportunity to negate his denials. The evidence of Peter's affirmations would be found in a three-fold description of the same charge: "Tend My lambs ... Shepherd My sheep ... Tend My sheep". Love for the Savior would be evidenced in care for his followers.

As different as our personalities are, I find a kindred spirit in Peter. My more subtle denials have also been confronted by the Savior and my renewed love and affirmation is found in shepherding the flock.

The most genuine expression of love for our Savior is tender care for His people. It is caring enough to listen ... to instruct ... to help ... to be involved. it is not lording-over control but humble-under service. It is truly placing the needs of others first, and nothing is more humanly impossible.

It isn't a defiant "if-you-love-me-prove-it" approach, but Jesus does call us to evidence our love by tenderly caring for His people. How will we express that love today?

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home