I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Many of you reading this are reading from your place of employment. In the midst of your hectic day you may be pausing for some brief spiritual refreshment as you consider these words. As you do, I need to ask you this question: What are you working for?

Your likely answer is, "A paycheck. The financial means to put a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food on the table."

I certainly would not disagree, but hopefully you are working for these reasons and more.

"Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal." (John 6:27)

The well-known Lord's Prayer contains a similar, but often misunderstood phrase: "give us this day our daily bread". The true thought is best expressed in saying, "give us this day the bread of tomorrow". It is an appeal to be fed the life of the age to come today.

We are called to assume responsibility for personal and family needs through employment, but if we work for today's "bread" to the neglect of tomorrow's "bread" we have missed the true nourishment that our Lord Jesus has for us. He promises to give us "the food which endures to eternal life".

I've lately been drawn back to the priority of cultivating relationship with Jesus my Lord. I often directly approach the Father in prayer, as Jesus Himself taught, but I've lately been much more aware of the fact that it is in Jesus that I approach the Father. There is much more to it than just tacking on, "In Jesus' name" at the end of prayer. Abiding in Christ is the prerequisite to coming to the Father.

As I seek to converse with Jesus my Lord I realize how much true "bread" He feeds me. He instructs me in the ways of my Father, and actively works with me to understand the Father's word. I'm more keenly aware of the fact that "no one comes to the Father but through me" (John 14:6). As my Advocate, He ushers me in to the presence of the Holy One where I could not dare go otherwise.

Amidst your daily work, may these brief thoughts supply you with some much-needed spiritual "bread' today.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home