I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is it really about dirty feet or deeds of humility?

"So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. " (John 13:12-17)

Cars and modern transportation long ago replaced foot travel on dusty roads in sandals for most of us. Washing another's feet serves a far less practical purpose today but few things remain more humbling.

Jesus choose the setting of the Last Supper - the Passover meal in which he elevated the bread and the cup to symbolize his sacrifice - as the occasion for this humbling practice of foot-washing. It provides a compelling picture of humble service.

Whether literal foot-washing was instituted by Jesus as an ongoing practice by believers is arguable. But the deliberate choice to show preference to others through acts of humility is not: "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor" (Romans 12:10).

A kingdom citizen places others in the family of God ahead of self. It's easy enough to state but far more difficult to practice. I'm a firstborn perfectionist who prefers things my way and in my time. I'm constantly humbled by those around me who model the truth of Romans 12:10 far better than I do. These are the ones who sacrifice time and effort to bring shut-ins to church services, care for church facilities, prepare meals for the sick and for church dinners, talk and spend time with those who are hurting.

To be devoted to one another and give preference to one another is a conscious choice. I thank God for those of you who daily make these choices and inspire the rest of us to do the same. Truly the Kingdom is demonstrated and modeled through such selfless choices.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home