I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, October 30, 2008

He and his team of three were the ultimate showmen. The pitcher appeared at the beginning of the game in center field and threw a strike past the batter at home plate. He later would pitch one entire inning blindfolded. Twice I was privileged to watch this amazing feat by a legendary softball pitcher and team called The King & His Court.

There is another King & His court that I would love to have seen firsthand but I was born about 2,000 years too late. And yet I'm told that it is to my advantage to have personally missed the scene:

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you ... But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." ( John 16:7,13 )

However much we might yearn to have been a first-hand eyewitness of Jesus, the greater advantage is in living in the "Helper era". The coming of the Helper was possible only by the sacrifice and ascension of Jesus to the Father's right hand. And now we are privileged to be led by it into all truth and a knowledge of what is to come.

Regardless of how confident we feel in a knowledge of truth and the future, our ultimate confidence is found in the inner presence and instruction of the Helper; the Teacher. Progress may seem painfully slow, but it is steady and assured because of this dynamic inner presence.

I believe the Helper primarily works in three ways: through firsthand study of God's word, through attention to the preaching and teaching of the word, and through group interaction around the word with God's people. The Helper can do nothing apart from the word.

I am continually amazed at what I learn when I interact with God's people in Bible study. Insights and understandings that would otherwise have been elusive come to light. I return to personal Bible study with a fresh perspective that allows greater understanding and growth.

The Helper is fully available to us today. May we take advantage of its teaching ministry in all its forms.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home