I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Few things seem as absurd as idol worship. Why bow down to a wooden, stone, or metal object and declare it to be your superior? And yet God's people seem to have a chronic propensity to do exactly that. Take for example, the infamous story of the golden calf. Moses ascended Mt Sinai to encounter the living God, and receive His commandments. His prolonged absence from the people of God became their license to indulge in idolatry.

"Now when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people assembled about Aaron and said to him, 'Come, make us a god who will go before us; as for this Moses, the man who brought us up from the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.' Aaron said to them, 'Tear off the gold rings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me.' Then all the people tore off the gold rings which were in their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took this from their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool and made it into a molten calf; and they said, 'This is your god, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt.'" (Exodus 32:1-4)

This perverted worship invoked the wrath of God, and would have resulted in their utter destruction were it not for the covenant agreement God had made with them ( "Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, 'I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.' " - Exodus 32:13)

The very people who saw the greatest demonstration of the power and presence of the LORD quickly stooped to idol worship. And, in my righteous indignation, I level an accusing finger. But, just as quickly, I realize there are idols in my midst as well. Sure, I'm far too sophisticated to bow down to a stone, wood, or metal idol. But, when I consider that an idol is anything that takes the rightful place of my Creator, I immediately see that I too bow down where I ought not. My idol worship takes the form of entertainment, comfort, and complacency. That which diminishes my first love (Matthew 22:36-40) is my idol. 

Idol worship is absurd, but I'm not immune to it. Nor are you. Therefore, some "worship introspection" is in order. "Father, what gods have taken Your rightful place in my life?" Are we prepared to hear His response?

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home