I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Have you lately considered your privileged status? Maybe your immediate response is, "Me? You must have mistaken me for someone else". No, I do mean you.

Your status as a citizen of the kingdom of God, through faith in Christ and the grace of God, is nothing to take for granted. You may have made the simple choice to "sign on", but it has far more to do with God's grace than your choice.

Romans nine contains some rich teaching regarding God's grace toward those who come to Him in faith. Notice these great truths: "For He says to Moses, 'I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.' So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy." (Romans 9:15-16)

There was a time in my life, as a teenager, when I made the choice to accept God's grace in Christ. But, I more clearly see that God chose me. For reasons I will never understand this side of the kingdom, He chose to have mercy and compassion on me. So, this kingdom life and hope - so real to me today - is not dependent on "the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy." I am completely, totally in His debt for the grace He has shown.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I've lately come to much more clearly see how very little I can do myself spiritually. Fact is, I've been confronted with the impossibility of humanly doing even the least of God's commandments. I've dared think I could at least please God in some small way by human effort, but He has reminded me lately I can't even do what I thought I could do. Humbling as this is, I see it as a very positive development. His grace and mercy can only work fully when I get out of the way.

God's grace and mercy is a bit like an incredible candy store with a wide variety of delightful delicacies. We're the child peering through the glass, gape-jawed at the amazing assortment. Despite our penniless status, His grace freely indulges our appetite. "taste and see that the LORD is good" (Psalm 34:8).

Savor your status today as a chosen kingdom citizen, and anticipate your glorious future - forever basking in the richness of His grace on a renewed and delightful earthly paradise.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home