I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The story is different, but the message is the same. It's about another people in another time, but it's really about you and me.

Thousands of years ago, God's chosen people were oppressed and in bondage in a foreign land. The burden they bore was great; their suffering intense. They desperately cried out for deliverance, and that deliverance eventually came.

"I have heard the groaning of the sons of Israel, because the Egyptians are holding them in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. Say, therefore, to the sons of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage. I will also redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. Then I will take you for My people, and I will be your God; and you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. I will bring you to the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you for a possession; I am the LORD.' " (Exodus 13:5-8)

The story is about the oppressed Israelites, and their deliverance by God through Moses, but the message is for us today. We were in bondage - not in Egypt, but to sin. But, God has established a covenant of life through His Son, and He remembers it. So, He has brought us out from the bondage of sin, and redeemed us with an outstretched arm. He has made us His people, and enlightened as to the truth that He is Yahweh God. And He promises to "bring us to the land" - the kingdom on earth that His Son will rule at His return.

This ancient story is today's reality for us, His people. He is actively delivering us from the destructive power of our human nature, by His Spirit and power. He daily is reminding us that we are His people, and continually forming us as family. He has set our feet on the pathway to the coming kingdom.

The Israelites didn't lead a rebellion and deliver themselves from bondage; they were led through it all by God's man, Moses. God has raised up a prophet like Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15) to deliver us. His name is Jesus (Yeshua), and we need only to follow His lead. Step by step, He faithfully guides those who trust in Him. The pathway is disciplined, but not difficult. It will cost you everything even as you gain everything. 

May you find great joy, peace, and contentment as God's Deliverer leads you from bondage to the rich land of the kingdom of God.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

1 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Neville Brandt said…

    Excellent! I have been really enjoying your devotional thoughts on our glorious Hope that is found in the Kingdom because of and through God's unique Son, the Lord Jesus the Messiah.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home