I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The right thing is rarely the easy thing (dare I say it is never the easy thing?). Every fiber of human nature within is bent on the wrong thing, so doing right is a colossal struggle. The apostle Paul well stated the dilemma: "the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want." (Roman 7:19) Who cannot relate to his epic struggle?

The secret to doing the right thing is not greater determination. No one can sufficiently will themselves to do the right thing; something internal is necessary. Consider these words:

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. Blessed are You, O LORD; Teach me Your statutes." (Psalm 119:9-12)

The secret to doing right is God's hidden word in the heart. As we notice from the words of the Psalmist, this is no casual encounter; it is diligent pursuit. Wholehearted pursuit is evident from his words. "Treasuring" God's word in one's heart means that its intrinsic value has been considered and embraced. A priority is established based on value.

Christians are considered to be "a people of the book", but it's fair to ask just how much "of the book" we are. Perhaps the most poignant example is the church attender I once knew who placed their Bible in a particular place where they could pick it up each Sunday; it was never taken home during the week. This person respected the Bible as God's word, but did not value it enough to diligently search its pages daily.

Honestly, what value do we truly place on God's word? Time and energy spent with it is the true test. Treasuring it, or hiding it in our heart, is the secret to Christian lifestyle. It will become abundantly clear, in moments of temptation, just how much we have valued His word and hidden it in our hearts. His word in our heart becomes God's voice in our head to direct our lifestyle. Internalizing God's word allows it to become our "God conscience". Without it, there is no amount of human determination sufficient to overcome the temptation to sin. Our efforts to do the right thing will always translate into the wrong thing without God's word in our heart.

Determine today to assess the value of God's word. Many, if not most of you, have already determined that it is immensely valuable. But, if you honestly realize you are only a casual, occasional reader, let me challenge you to view it as your survival guide in a perilous world, and eagerly devour it as though your life depended upon it. Because it does.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home