I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Few things are more encouraging and uplifting than to be truly heard. Often the knowing nod and gentle smile is accompanied by vacant eyes - they are listening, but not truly hearing. How very reassuring when we have someone's undivided attention, and they truly are attuned to what we are saying.

"I love the LORD, because He hears My voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, Therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live." (Psalm 116:1-2)

David, the Psalmist, was moved by the love of his Creator Father because of His attentive ear. The fact that the Creator of all would give His undivided attention to to a lowly creature was enough to move David to a lifetime of commitment and communion. If God was willing to listen, David was quite willing to speak, share, and also listen.

Fully confident that my Father hears, my challenge is just the opposite: to truly hear Him. The rush of random thoughts and the general noise of my brain too often precludes real listening on my part. The admonition to "be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) is often lost in practice.

One translation renders this verse, "Cease striving and know that I am God". Perhaps that best describes the dilemma: cease from turmoil and know that God is God. Simplify. As David also says, "The LORD preserves the simple" (Psalm 116:6). The divided, tumultuous person has trouble being still enough to know God, but the uncomplicated person with singleness of heart will be preserved.

I have friends who have enjoyed a weekend of silence. In a peaceful outdoor retreat - with only Bible and notebook - they testify to the renewing effect of silencing their brain noise, unwinding before the LORD, and sensing His special nearness. By the conclusion of the weekend, they have a renewed sense of presence and communion. Their testimony is compelling, and appealing.

The noise of our world is a cancer that gradually steals away the vitality of communion with our Father. What decisions do you and I need to make to return to the renewing silence? Those answers will begin to break through only when we initiate times of silence today.

May we be still enough today to truly hear and be heard.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home