I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:13-14)

Are believers responsible for an extended drought in the United States? Is the real cause of global warming the wickedness of the people of God? These are spiritually and politically charged questions. Answering them categorically would be presumptuous and irresponsible. At best, this much can be said: there are consequences for disobedience and wickedness on the part of the people of God. Their "land" (territory) will be in need of healing, but God offers rich promises based upon important conditions.

Whether the land (nation) that believers live in bears the consequences of their sin, or the "land" of the body of Christ, there is always a great need for His people to "humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways". These are three pressing priorities for His people in any land at any time.

None are immune to pride. Humble servants of God, when praised for His work in their lives, are easy prey to pride. Pride, then, must prompt humble prayer. And that prayer must be to "seek My face". We cannot literally see God's face and live (Exodus 33:20), so to seek His face is to turn our full attention to Him; to listen for what He would say, and what He would impress upon us.

We all have wicked ways to turn away from. "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8). But, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9). This is a similar promise to 2 Chronicles 7:14.

I want God to hear me from heaven. I want my sins to be forgiven through confession and obedience. I want my "land" to be healed. And I desire that for all of God's people. May we each sense a renewed calling to the conditions and promises of of this special verses, 2 Chronicles 7:14.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home