I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, September 26, 2011

We've probably all heard K.I.S.S. (no, I'm not referring to an aging rock band). It's a popular acronym for the admonition to "Keep It Simple" (I'll leave off the last word commonly used with it). It's an essential reminder to simplify when the temptation is to needlessly confuse and complicate.

The "K.I.S.S." principle is much needed when it comes to the Bible. The Bible has plenty of depth to challenge the deepest of thinkers, but it also has a profound simplicity. Jesus, for example, chose simple parables - basic stories from everyday objects and situations - to convey truth. The theologians of the day were offended by His simple stories, but those with uncomplicated humility found a treasure-trove of spiritual riches in these simple, yet in-depth stories.

The Bible is simple when we read it with an understanding of its basic tenets. A wise elderly pastor states it like this: God really is one; Jesus really is the Son of God; the dead really are dead; and heaven will be on earth, not the other way around. To those basic truths we incorporate the two great commandments, per Jesus: 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.'" (Matthew 22:37-40)

Micah 6:8 states is simply and succinctly: "He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God"

Could it really be that simple? I'll dare say, "yes". This simplicity is the springboard to a lifetime of learning and growth. Reading and studying from these basic tenets, the rest of the Bible unfolds beautifully and simply.

I've found myself in the midst of overly-complicated biblical studies and debates more times than I can count. Too often they seemed like the proverbial "straining a gnat while swallowing a camel (Matthew 23:24). The point of the intense discussion was lost on the main biblical picture.

Someone recently suggested to me that what they need to learn from every Bible discussion and study is, "How do I better love God with all my heart, and love my neighbor as myself?" Perhaps the test of these two great commandments should be applied to whatever we study and discuss.

Let's simplify. To do so will never be the end of Bible study, but ultimately the greatest beginning. Profoundly simple truth will guide us to the richest depths that will nourish our souls, and those around us.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

1 Comments:

  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Fiona said…

    Steve, once again you have written a devotional that sounds like it comes from my own heart, It kind of reminds me of when i was a JW. We spent hours debating with householders over whether Jesus was crucified on a cross or a stake- and never stopped to wonder, in awe, that he was crucified at all! Indeed, many believers seem to spend much time debating the unimportant, I agree with you, lets KISS !
    BTW, your devotional came through to my email, but not my FB- they are up to some wierd changes
    God Bless,
    Fiona

     

Post a Comment

<< Home