I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, September 08, 2011

We can't cherry-pick the promises and neglect the requirements. In an age of "easy-believism", it's done much too often. Promises are always inseparably attached to key requirements. Consider these words from Jesus:

"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." (John 14:13-14)

This important prayer promise is firmly embedded in a love condition: obedience to His commandments. The promise applies to those whose love is exhibited by faithful obedience.

He further states, "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him ... If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him." (John 14:21,23)

The promise of an intimate relationship with Jesus our Lord, and God our Father, is appealing. But, this promise is attached to the condition that we keep His word and commandments.

Let's be clear: no one will earn a place in the coming kingdom. Jesus has done what we could never do for ourselves, and God has validated this work by raising Him from the dead. But, passive faith is not saving faith. The Book of James clearly reminds us that saving faith is evidenced by faithful activity. As has been tritely stated, the faith that saves is the faith that works.

It is a gross inconsistency to claim allegiance to Christ while being ignorant of His requirements and teachings. Heartfelt gratitude for His saving work on our behalf manifests itself in passionate pursuit of His word and teachings.

In nearly thirty-five years of marriage, I've sought to understand and know my wonderful wife, whom God has joined me to. Love has been the motivating factor. Similarly, I've been in relationship with my heavenly Father through His Son, Jesus, since 1973. I've sought to grow in understanding and obedience, not because I have to, but because I want to. I cannot imagine being content with what I know and obey; my desire is to grow, as with my marriage.

May profound gratitude and love motivate growth in knowledge and obedience in us today - and always.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home