I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, August 22, 2011

A book about prayer has really been speaking to me. The concept of making it a priority to seek God's face more than His hand is helping to rekindle a passion for prayer that has been somewhat dormant for some time. Prayer easily becomes a perfunctory exercise in bringing our wants and needs before the Creator without a real focus on who He is and what He really desires for us.

Seeking God's face is, I'm sure, a metaphor for seeking to know Him personally. We are clearly told that "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!" (Exodus 33:20). And yet, we are implored to "Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually." (Psalm 105:4)

This seeking of God's face must absolutely be coupled with His word and His Spirit. How will we ever know our Creator Father apart from Him word? And how will we ever truly pray unless we learn of His desires for us through the Bible? But, His word alone is not sufficient, because "we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words" (Romans 8:26)

I recall a night years ago that to date has been my most incredible prayer experience. I was a young pastor struggling with some personal issues. Following a church meeting, moved with deep emotion, I went to the church auditorium to pray. I fell face down on the platform near the pulpit. For an hour or more I shed more tears than I probably ever have in my life, and poured out my deepest thoughts and feelings to my Father. Others were present during this time, and later reported a deep sense of awareness of God's Spirit during my time of emotional prayer.

While many other details of that night are vague this many years later, I recall later returning home with a compelling conviction to read His word that evening. I remember that my mind was flooded with insights and understandings that I had not had before, and I regret even today that I did not record what I saw then.

That evening was the most powerful combination in my life of Spirit and truth worship and prayer that I have known. And now, some thirty years later, a book on prayer stirs those long-dormant memories. Can such a passion in prayer be rekindled? Does God still desire this same intimacy with Him? Indeed He does!

My deep desire in writing these thoughts today is that a fresh passion for biblical and Spirit-led prayer will awaken in each of us. We live in a world of chaos, headed for its appointed end-time calamity, and the need for the people of God who love truth is to find fresh vigor and energy through renewing prayer. May a spark be fanned into a flame today.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Preacher Dennis said…

    Amen Steve,
    Thanks so much for your words. They come from someone who has experienced what he is talking about. I too know exactly what you are saying. How often I find myself struggling because of a lack of strength. Jacob struggled with the angel of God all night and was rewarded with a halt in his walk for the rest of his life to remind him of the victory that night. Jesus struggled with the Father in prayer and received strength from the angel of God. He too was rewarded and carries in his hands, feet, and side the mark of that victory. Paul received strength from Christ, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." He carried the marks on his back from the stripes he received because of his faith. As we struggle in prayer to God our Father, his Son our mediator, strengthens us, so we can do whatever needs to be done. You words in your Monday Musings touched me. We need to struggle and not let go till we receive the blessing by the messenger of the covenant like Jacob did the angle of God. Thanks for the Monday pick-me-up. Dennis Baldwin

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger steve said…

    Dennis -

    Your comments were a Monday pick-me-up to me! Thanks for responding. Yes, the adventure of prayer is a struggle, but well worth it all. It can't always be a mountaintop experience, but losing the desire for it is what concerns me most. I'd rather long for such times than be apathetic and content with status quo.

    Steve

     

Post a Comment

<< Home