I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

When things seem the worst, God's provision and help is the most dramatic. That's been my experience; I can't begin to count the number of times I've been at the end of my rope and desperately needed some kind of emotional, spiritual, or physical miracle. And, in those desperate hours, a perfectly-timed phone call, visit, email, financial gift, or scripture verse provided ample evidence to God's sensitive provision. Such was the case today when I read these extremely timely and appropriate words:

"From my distress I called upon the LORD; The LORD answered me and set me in a large place. The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?" (Psalm 118:5-6)

I'm certainly not at the end of my rope as I read these words today, but they are especially encouraging amidst a bit of an emotional challenge. In other words, they provided a well-timed pick-me-up. They reminded me that I have been heard, and placed "in a large place". They remind me that the LORD God is literally "for me" - favoring me. As such, is there truly anything that anyone can do to me that is detrimental from an eternal perspective. Absolutely not!

I've been a pastor long enough to know that at any given moment, at least one person I am in contact with is enduring a time of distress. In the times we live in, I'm confident that many today are enduring distress. As such, these words of reassurance from our Father in Psalm 118 have special meaning.

Approximately five times we are reminded in this Psalm that, "His lovingkindness is everlasting", or 'His love endures forever". The pathway of life leads us through both prosperity and adversity, but God's lovingkindness remains a constant. Prosperity is not necessarily an indication of His blessing, nor is adversity the result of His curse on us; His love endures always for those who fear Him.

Far be it that I should "rain on your parade" if today is a day of rejoicing, but if today has more in common with the rain than the parade, then Psalm 118 is His well-timed encouragement to you. Take verses five and six to heart, in particular. Print them out. Tape them to your fridge, bathroom mirror, locker, desk, lunchbox, or computer. They are His personal words to you, to remind you that you are no less favored today than yesterday, or tomorrow. If your heart is for Him, His heart is surely for you.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

3 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Linda McQuinn Carlblom said…

    Amen! You've been in my prayers. Blessings on your day!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger steve said…

    Thanks, Linda. I'm totally convinced that pastors can't pastor unless they are upheld in prayer. I'm so thankful for faithful, supportive prayer.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Ellie Hill said…

    Thanks Steve I needed that and I will post those verses. A daily reminder.
    Ellie Hill

     

Post a Comment

<< Home