I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I live in a valley, completely encircled by mountains. On a clear day (which is rare because of air pollution), it is possible to see mountains whichever direction you look. They serve as a type of fortress for us valley-dwellers.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber." (Psalm 121:1-3)

Significant things have happened on mountains, and will in the future. God met with Moses for forty days on a mountain. Noah's ark came to rest on a mountain following the great worldwide flood. Elijah the prophet confronted and destroyed false prophets on a mountain. Jesus preached His most radical message on a mountain. He was transfigured before two of His disciples on a mountain. In the coming kingdom, worshippers will go up to the mountain of the LORD.

The mountains I can so easily see remind me of my help that comes from above. My Father, the maker of heaven and earth, is my helper. He guards my steps, and stand eternally vigilant.

How is it possible to navigate life's problems and challenges without reliance on the One true God? How very helpless and hopeless the non-believer must be in the throes of trouble!

The journey of life is a picture of someone walking along a perilously narrow mountain path with a gaping chasm on either side. One slight misstep results in tragedy and death. But, the God who is ever vigilant has promised to not allow our foot to slip. Challenges and difficulties will come, but He will save us from ultimate disaster.

Perhaps your journey seems especially perilous today. The uphill climb is exhausting, and the vertical drop on either side seems alarmingly close. Be assured that your Father, as you place absolute trust in Him, is planting your feet on sure and safe ground as He directs your steps.

The advice given to someone on the heights, afraid of the altitude, is to not look down. Look up. "I will lift up my eyes to the mountains". The true God, Father of our Lord Jesus, is over all and above all. He watches and guards the steps of His children.

So, walk confidently as you walk in faith this day. Let peace flow through your heart and mind as you set you sight above, where your Father is. Surely He will provide all the help you will need this day - and every day.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home