I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, December 20, 2010

In an age of frenetic activity, it's a quality that holds little appeal; unless it can be accomplished while microwaving breakfast before rushing off to work. Give me patience, and give it to me now.

"Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near." (James 5:7-8)

Patience is a virtue I am immensely disqualified to speak about. A first-born perfectionist, I inherently want what I want, when I want it, exactly as I want it. Well, the classroom of life and the Spirit of God have patiently been teaching me that these expectations are a recipe for deep frustration and dissatisfaction. Life in an imperfect world is fraught with delays, denials, and disappointment. Patience is the only quality that will save us from insanity amidst unrealistic expectations.

In a technological age, it's easy to lose sight of lessons from agriculture. Patience for a farmer is not optional; the cycles of planting and harvest are basically immutable. A farmer who plants one day and expects to harvest the next will not last long at his vocation!

Prophets speaking in the name of the Lord are examples of both patience and suffering (verse 10). I immediately think of Noah, faithfully speaking of coming judgment all the while he labored to build an ark - with not one single convert from his patient preaching.

"You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near." The sooner we adjust our expectations to the plan of God's progress, the better. Granted, there sometimes are immediate answers and results, but these are the exception rather than the norm. And, since God is in the business of building kingdom character in His people, immediate results rarely serve that purpose.

Life will hand you and I experiences today that will demand patience. For my part, based on past performance, I'll not respond perfectly, but probably more patiently than in the past. Patience is progressing, but it certainly hasn't arrived. The coming of the Lord hasn't arrived either, but its nearness is today's motivation.

May our patience be a praise to our Father today.

Steve

© 2010, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home