I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

For many, it is the most difficult faith and trust issue. The challenges of our times has many people wondering about provision - will I have a job? Will I be able to pay the bills? Will I be able to avoid foreclosure on my house? Will I be able to retire, or stay retired? These questions and issues are pertinently addressed in this passage:

"Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, 'I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,' so that we confidently say, 'THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?'" (Hebrews 13:5-6)

All too often the Bible's directives concerning money and wealth have been misunderstood. As the writer of Hebrews urges, avoid a love of money. A similar warning is issued in 1 Timothy 6:10, with the key focus being on a LOVE of money, not mere possession of it. The poverty-stricken can love their meager fare to their detriment, whereas the abundantly wealthy can be free of the love of money through generous charity. It's not about how much you have; it's about how attached you are to what you have.

Regardless of our financial status or economic times, the priority is "being content with what you have." Invoking God's promise of provision in Deuteronomy 31:6, and the Psalmist's confident assertion in Psalm 118:6, the writer of Hebrews reminds us that God has a track record of faithfulness in providing for His people as He sees fit. And therein lies a potential problem: envy, the green-eyed monster, causes us to be less than grateful when we notice God providing more for our neighbor than ourselves. It is much to easy to be discontent with what we have when we compare with the Jones'. But, envy doesn't always look to our neighbor; sometimes it looks to our past. Why do I have less now than I did a year ago? What can't I enjoy the prosperity today that I had two years ago?

The perspective of a man who has experienced the extremes of wealth and poverty is insightful: "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity" (Philippians 4:11-12). The apostle Paul prospered in boom times, and suffered loss in times of economic downturn. Neither extreme adversely affected a man who knew that life consisted of more than possessions.

Experts predict that the current economic decline is only the first tremor of a massive seismic quake to come. Only time will tell if these predictions are accurate or exaggerated. But, the God of Moses, Joshua, and David will continue to provide for His people as there is need, and His supply is not threatened or diminished. The secret of contentment is resting in that assurance, and rejoicing in His present supply. Let's live thankfully today according to both of these facts.

Steve

© 2010, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home