I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, April 01, 2013

Few things appeal more to us than the story of victory in the face of certain defeat. History is replete with examples, but none quite so dramatic as a time when death was turned to life. The story begins with the agonizing words of a man in death's throes: "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" (Psalm 22.1). 

Many will immediately recognize these as the words of Jesus on the cross but I, for one, believe these words are much misunderstood. On the surface, they sound like the words of someone bereft of connection with the living God. But, these were deliberately quoted words from a Messianic Psalm, designed to connect the One on the cross with an important prophecy. Those who were intuitive would also see the connection with verses that followed: "They pierced my hands and my feet ... They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots." (Psalm 22.16,18)

Those who were especially perceptive would also see that death would not be final. A promise that followed would indicate ultimate victory: "For the kingdom is the LORD'S And He rules over the nations." (Psalm 22.28) 

While the agony of death by crucifixion is unfathomable to us, those haunting words - "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" - were not uttered by One truly feeling forsaken by His Father, but One who wanted to make certain that His experience was identified with Psalm 22. And, that Psalm reveals both the suffering of God's Messiah, and the ultimate triumph of the kingdom of God. 

Many of us can identify with those haunting words in our times of distress, but we do well to also identify with the kingdom triumph found in this Psalm. The reminder is powerfully important: out of the ashes of discouragement and defeat comes the triumph of the kingdom. Even death does not win, as the resurrection of Jesus reminds us. His resurrection is a prototype of ours, and prelude to the coming kingdom victory. 

This day undoubtedly holds some experiences that are discouraging and defeating. But, the One who identified with and exemplified Psalm 22 shows us that kingdom triumph is destined to prevail amidst our discouragement and defeat. Cling to that promise, and live victoriously in and for the One who makes it so.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home