I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, March 04, 2013

Certain places have special significance. A camp where a spiritual breakthrough occurred. A baptistry where new life began. A church pew where worship became real. A particular place where God's voice and presence seemed almost audible and visible .

Abraham's grandson, Jacob, had a life-changing experience in a place he named Bethel, and he felt a need to return there to renew that encounter: "let us arise and go up to Bethel, and I will make an altar there to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and has been with me wherever I have gone." (Genesis 35.3)

My home church is a type of Bethel to me. Living at a distance from it now, my visits there are infrequent. But, whenever I return, my mind is flooded with memories and experiences of my spiritual formation years there. I am forever linked to this place where God and His Son, Jesus, first became real to me. In order to better understand where I am in my journey now, I know that I need to return to this place of spiritual birth from time to time. As with Jacob's Bethel, I know that from this place God "has been with me wherever I have gone."

Likely you have a type of Bethel too. Perhaps it is easier for you to reconnect with it than it is for me. Maybe you a living within it if it is a church you serve in presently. Whether near or far, it is important to reconnect as you are able to better understand your spiritual pilgrimage.

Jacob returned to his Bethel and again encountered the truly and living God. In that place, God renamed him, "Israel" (Genesis 35.10), and revealed to him that "I am God Almighty" (El Shaddai) (Genesis 35.11). Jacob was given a new beginning, with fresh insight concerning God Almighty. Among the plethora of the world's so-called gods, the LORD Yahweh uniquely revealed Himself to this man of destiny.

Perhaps you cannot return to your Bethel today any more than I can, but the God of our Bethel is where we are, and ready to reveal Himself in a fresh way. He would have you know that He is El-Shaddai - God Almighty - and well able to strengthen you to face today's obstacles, and empower you to serve Him effectively. 

May He bless you today with a special Bethel moment.


Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home