I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's been said the future stands before us like someone with their hands behind their back; one hand holding a bouquet, and the other a brick. We can't be certain if we'll be handed the bouquet, or hit with the brick.

Sometimes life is brutal and unfair, and the Bible can never be faulted for sugarcoating that reality. Consider these words of the Psalmist:

How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death" (Psalm 13.1-3)

These are the probing questions of a troubled man. Sensing he has been forsaken and forgotten by Yahweh God, he is sorrowfully left to personally reflect on his plight. He pleads for enlightenment in his present darkness lest he enter the dark night of the sleep of death. 

If this were the end of the story, it would be depressing indeed. But, for this man of God, hope and faith persevered in the darkness: "But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me." (Psalm 13.5-6)

When life hits us with a brick, we may momentarily stumble and doubt. But, the man and woman of faith will frame present troubles from the perspective of God's "big picture". We have trusted His lovingkindness in the past, and it has sustained us. The kingdom is still coming, and thus "My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation". We sing and rejoice because God's track record has been that of abundant blessings and grace.

A popular praise song these days is based on Job 1.21; declaring that the LORD gives and He takes away, but still His name is blessed. Such is the cycle of life, but the people of God remain resolutely fixed on His promises and goodness. It's a joy to sing in the sun, but praising in the pain is also His due. Regardless of the season of life today, may praise and thankfulness by your constant.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home