I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, March 11, 2013

Somewhere in my upbringing I came to understand that not everyone has my best interests in mind. There are those who would exploit for their personal gain. And, there are those with malicious intent. Little wonder that Jesus taught us to pray, "deliver us from evil" Matthew 6.13). This model prayer sounds very much one of many found in the Psalms:

"Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings From the wicked who despoil me, My deadly enemies who surround me." (Psalm 17.8-9)

David often faced deadly opposition in his life. This just and godly man faced the raw hatred of wicked and evil people. It wasn't that he had crossed them through a corrupt business deal, or maligned them in a judicial hearing. A godly man simply faced the wrath of the wicked because he was a godly man. And such will be our lot in life as we seek to live a righteous life: some will hate us because of who - and Whose - we are. God's Son, Jesus, summarized it well:

"I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one." (John 17.14-15)

A fixation on evil around us is surely a recipe for madness and depression. Sure, government is often misguided, and business is corrupt. The rich and powerful will - as they always have - seek to control and suppress the masses. Such is the direction of this age, and it will increase as we race to the climax of this evil age (Matthew 24.12). Amidst such evil times, the world desperately needs ambassadors of hope who live confidently "in the shadow of (His) wings".

We can live in fear at the prospect of facing a crazed gunman, or of evil government repression. Or, we can choose confidence through a resolute faith in our God who sees us as "the apple of the eye". 

An awareness of the nature of the evil we face is important, but a great awareness of the God who protects in this age and promises the gift of immortality in the age to come is even more important. May basking in the warmth of His love today overshadow fear of the evil around you.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home