I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

One step from death. We've likely all been there at least once. I most remember the time, on an icy highway, when I lost control of my car as I was trying to pass a semi-trailer. To this day, I don't know how I avoided being crushed by the truck, or slamming into a concrete culvert to the left of the highway. I literally can say, like the Psalmist, "You have rescued my soul from death" (Psalm 116.8). I should have been dead or seriously injured, but I was spared.

"Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; Yes, our God is compassionate. The LORD preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me. Return to your rest, O my soul, For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you. For You have rescued my soul from death, My eyes from tears, My feet from stumbling. I shall walk before the LORD In the land of the living." (Psalm 116.5-9)

From the vantage point of advancing years, I see more clearly that however God spares us in this age, it's a very temporary fix. What is truly amazing is that He spares us to "walk before the LORD In the land of the living." I take that to mean that His ultimate help is to renew us through resurrection so that we can walk before Him in the kingdom age to come. 

King David's life was filled with countless instances of God's intervention and rescue. But, ultimately, he fell asleep in death, as is destined for all. God's greatest work of deliverance is yet future for him - and us. Meanwhile, however, we can say as he did: that He has rescued "My eyes from tears, My feet from stumbling." Sorrow and grief touched David, as it does us, but God is the God who "will wipe away every tear from their eyes" (Revelation 21.4). And, He keeps our feet from stumbling; i.e., prevents us from tripping away from the true life to be given in the kingdom age.

Whatever disadvantages or setbacks we may be facing in life today, we are still here! We are living and breathing; blessed far beyond what we think or imagine. Whatever tears we have or will shed, they will ultimately be dried. However badly we've stumbled, restoration is still a real possibility. Today is ripe with positive possibilities through the God Who delivers!

May you enjoy a refreshing and restoring walk with our gracious Father today.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home