I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What's the point in taking notes if you never look at them, or forget where you put them? I've gone from Day-timers to the myriad of today's e-reminders, and still haven't found the perfect organizational tool. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me ...

An online course I'm taking reminds me that there are six hundred thirteen Old Testament laws. How could anyone possibly remember them all, and faithfully observe them? It's not that there hasn't been - and are today - those who have diligently tried. Truth is, it simply cannot be done. Something better is needed.

"FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE." (Hebrews 8.10)

Committing six hundred and thirteen laws to memory and practice will never work, but then that has never been our Father's ultimate plan. His plan is to write on our hearts and minds that which ultimately matters, and enter into an agreement of life with us. His priority is covenant relationship, not a checklist of do's and don'ts. That which He ultimately desires, He has provided through His Son. Consider:

"you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. Such confidence we have through Christ toward God." (2 Corinthians 3.3-4)

Instead of learning the letter of the Law, we've been made into a letter of sorts in Christ. The living God, through His Spirit, has written on our very hearts, even as He wrote on stone tablets to give to Moses. This "heart writing" is undeniable, and a perfect constant reminder.

In my quest for organizational tools, it appears that I've finally found the perfect one. God has given me an internal tool to constantly remind me of the agreement of life He has with me. May we each find comfort and confident direction as we attune ourselves to what He has written on our hearts and minds.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home