I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Watershed moments. Times when everything hangs in the balance, and the outcome is anything but certain. I've always been intrigued by the stories of such moments in the lives of famous people.

There was a time when king David was a fugitive in an enemy land, without certainty that he would ever be allowed to leave. Looking back today, we know the outcome. But in that watershed moment, when all hung in the balance, what did he think and do? Psalm fifty-six, written during that uncertain time, records his thoughts for our understanding and encouragement.

"Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; Fighting all day long he oppresses me. My foes have trampled upon me all day long, For they are many who fight proudly against me. When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? All day long they distort my words; All their thoughts are against me for evil. They attack, they lurk, They watch my steps, As they have waited to take my life." (Psalm 56:1-6)

Be it never said that David wasn't a realist. He candidly describes the desperate peril he found himself in. Desperate times called for desperate measures, as 1 Samuel 21:10-11 record - the historic background for this Psalm. But, David's optimistic faith shines brightly amidst these times - "In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?"

Are these times of uncertainty for you? Is there some crisis looming, or some desperate situation that threatens safety and security? Such times bring the true character of our faith into focus. Do we falter in faith, and surrender to despair? Or do we assess our situation as David did - "What can mere man do to me?"

In one such watershed period of time in my life a few years ago, I found a greater faith than I thought possible. The reality of a particular promise of Jesus became my stronghold, and continues this day to hold special meaning. The perspective of promise redefined the true nature of those circumstances.

Present circumstances, no matter how threatening, will not deter us from entering the kingdom of God at the return of Christ. Our destiny is immortality, and exalted status in the age to come. Like David who would escape threatening circumstances to go on to be Israel's king, we too will escape today's perils to go on to be kingdom citizens and high government officials in Jesus' coming government. Therefore, may our perspective be the same as David's: "In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid."

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home