I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Days of distress inevitably come. No one can live life without loss of possessions, family members, friends, and friendships. It's an absolute cycle of life that we both give up and gain. As Job famously said, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21).

Second Samuel one is a tragic record of loss. King Saul and his sons were killed in battle, and Israel had experienced a devastating defeat. This was an especially crushing blow to David because of the loss of his dear friend, Jonathan, Saul's son.

"Then David took hold of his clothes and tore them, and so also did all the men who were with him. They mourned and wept and fasted until evening for Saul and his son Jonathan and for the people of the LORD and the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword ... I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; You have been very pleasant to me. Your love to me was more wonderful Than the love of women." (2 Samuel 1:11-12,26)

Whether the literal death of a friend, or the death of a special friendship, both are painful times of loss. I well remember the woman who spoke with me about the loss of a special. long-term friendship. Her friend was still alive, and living near her, but the death of this special friendship was just as real and painful as though death had occurred.

I have been blessed and nurtured by special friendships in my journey of life and ministry, and have been painfully separated by some as I have relocated from one place to another. While I have mourned these losses, I reflect back on how blessed I am for having had them. And, I rejoice in nurturing friendships today.

Tragic seasons of loss inevitably come. Like David, these are valleys we must walk through. But, as we learn from David in the Psalms, there are future times of rejoicing. And, as Job so well said, the name of the LORD (Yahweh) is still to be blessed, regardless of seasons of loss or gain. From a kingdom of God perspective, we anticipate that all seasons of loss will ultimately one day be incredible gain!

Whatever season of life you may be in today, may your praise be steady, and your hope sure.

Steve

©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home