I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

am at an amazing age - I am constantly amazed that I've gotten this old this quickly. While serving on staff as Bible college faculty, I labored under the illusion that I was closer in age to the students than the other staff members. An honest look in the mirror would have indicated otherwise.

As with most of us, I have plans and dreams for the future, and I imagine there is plenty of time to get serious about doing those things. Fact is, life is far more transient than I can begin to imagine. Consider what the Psalmist said on the subject:

"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; Surely every man at his best is a mere breath." (Psalm 39:4-5)

While my gut reaction is to label the Psalmist a killjoy, I know in my heart he is a realist. Time flies by faster than I ever imagined possible, and the distance from the end of life is much less than from the beginning. Coming to terms with mortality and the fact that life is transient is key to focusing on that which is important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm thankful that a priority for the things concerning the kingdom of God has been impressed upon me. I see with greater clarity that seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33) is top of the list. Praying, "Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven" is the highest priority prayer request. Everything else in life flows down from this great priority.

Financial budgeting has been a recent focus of study and consideration. I clearly see that one cannot live in a dream world financially, hoping against hope that certain expenses will not come. Budgeting involves a realistic look at known expenses and planning for them, and preparing for unexpected emergencies. Life needs to be considered similarly: budgeting time and energy for key priorities, knowing that our days are not limitless, any more than are our financial resources.

So, high on today's priority list is sharing these thoughts with you, and encouraging you in profitable pursuits. I pray that you and I live long lives, but there is no such promise. So, I pray that we see with great clarity how quickly our lives are passing, how soon they may end, and how important this moment is to invest in things of eternal significance. Seek the kingdom first and foremost. Serve wholeheartedly as the king's ambassador today. Savor meaningful spiritual relationships. Make this moments count for all eternity.

Steve

© 2011, Steve Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home