I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

How do you handle sin? That's probably not in the top ten conversation starter questions, nor probably ever will be. This question is far too personal for any of us to want to address, but it is vitally important.

Honestly, my sin tactics are primarily to deny or diminish. This many years in the Christian life, I find it much too easy to deny that I'm capable of sinful thoughts and actions. This is deadly dangerous. And equally dangerous is my tendency to diminish the severity of sinful thoughts and actions. After all, goes my reasoning, it's not that bad, is it?

Perhaps the most legendary sin of all was King David's adultery with a woman named Bathsheba, and the subsequent murder of her husband. This man after God's own heart had effectively shipwrecked his life spiritually through this disastrous series of events. Even worse was the fact that he denied and diminished these grievous sins.

Confronted by God's prophet, Nathan, this rebellious sinner - who still had a heart for God - sought a clean heart: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit." (Psalm 51:10-12)

This repentant sinner's response is the ultimate pattern for every sinner. It is interesting that we nowhere read of his specific confession regarding the sinful acts he was guilty of, but rather of the root cause. His great need was for a clean, pure heart, and a steadfast and willing spirit. Simply addressing the act of sin would have been insufficient; addressing the root cause was essential.

For far too long, I addressed sinful acts in my life rather than the root cause. Guilt heaped higher and higher as I found myself before the throne addressing the same issues. But, how very helpful it has been to learn from David's example and address the root cause. Like highly polished brass, it is much too easy for my heart to become tarnished and unclean through worldly affections that war against God. My spirit is easily given over to things of this world that are much too enticing. My loyalties are divided; I seek to serve two masters.

There is no end to the cycle of confessing specific acts of sin, receiving forgiveness and mercy, and then succumbing to the same sinful actions again. But, there is hope when we, like David, address our sinful nature. As such, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

Too often we allow sin scars to remain for sin episodes long forgiven by our Father. May we find true liberation today, and live victoriously in the grace of God through Jesus Christ our Lord and sacrifice.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home