I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

A well-known comedian once humbly stated that he didn't deserve an award he had just been given, but then quickly added that he had arthritis and didn't deserve that either. I'm not certain as to how deserving or undeserving we are of misfortune, but I'm certain we are all undeserving of God's incredible, amazing grace. Consider king David's response to it:

"Then David the king went in and sat before the LORD, and he said, 'Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far? And yet this was insignificant in Your eyes, O Lord GOD, for You have spoken also of the house of Your servant concerning the distant future. And this is the custom of man, O Lord GOD. Again what more can David say to You? For You know Your servant, O Lord GOD! For the sake of Your word, and according to Your own heart, You have done all this greatness to let Your servant know. For this reason You are great, O Lord GOD; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears.'" (2 Samuel 7:18-22)

Sure, we often sing of God's amazing grace in church services, but when was the last time you really sat down and considered it in your own life, as David did? Why would God have even the slightest regard for His lowly creation? And yet He cares enough about each of us to know our thoughts from afar, and He is fully aware of all the days of our lives, even before we came into existence.

I've lately spent time thinking about my journey through life, and how amazing it has been thus far. I've been spared certain dangers and temptations. I've been graciously blessed with a wonderful wife and family. I've been given far more of the good things in this life - possessions, travels, comforts - than I could have ever imagined at a young age. I've been blessed with wonderful relationships and meaningful service. Like David, I cannot help but state, "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far?"

If there is a greater sin, I believe it would have to be the sin of ingratitude. Failing to ponder God's blessings and guidance in our lives must surely be grievous to Him. But, how very blessed we are when we recount His grace and guidance in specific ways, and what joy we bring to the Father when we do so.

It is a good day to reflect, gain fresh appreciation of grace, and savor His blessings and guidance this day as we move forward. May we also be a source of grace and blessings to others as we do so.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Russ said…

    Like you, I've also been so blessed with a wonderful wife, loving extended family and countless opportunities to live the faith. It is only by God's grace and mercy all this has happened. I give him praise and thanks.
    Russ Magaw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home