I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Days of breakthrough and victory. Perhaps they don't seem to come often enough, but they do come, and they are cause for celebration. A negative habit is finally broken. Financial discipline literally pays off. A communication breakthrough occurs with our spouse, children, or parents. It is a watershed moment when trials and challenges give way to victory.

The twenty-second chapter of 2 Samuel is prefaced with these words - "and David spoke the words of this song to the LORD in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul." (2 Samuel 22:1)

Absolute victory! Plagued with setbacks, defeat, and humiliation, there came a time when the LORD God provided the ultimate breakthrough and victory for David. His victory party was a song of celebration to the God who had protected and vindicated him. The tone of his words reflect humble confidence in his Creator Father:

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, You save me from violence. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies." (2 Samuel 22:2-4)

Victory through deliverance should be celebrated. Perhaps we are not surrounded by enemies bent on our death, but destructive habits that enslave us are equally harmful. Through our Father's intervention and deliverance, we should celebrate those breakthroughs over alcohol, tobacco, or drug abuse, or over negative emotional patterns and/or physical behavior. When those hard-fought victories come, pull out all the stops and celebrate the God Who delivers!

Victory benchmarks are vital to faith and confidence in future victories. The God who delivered in the past will deliver in the present and future as we remain resolute in faith in and trust of Him. What He has accomplished in the past provides precedent for victory today and tomorrow. That's one of the great purposes of the record of God's mighty works in His people's lives, as recorded in the Bible: "Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come." (1 Corinthians 10:11)

I pray that today is a day of victory such as David enjoyed. If not, however, I pray that a past victory provides optimism and encouragement as you look to His deliverance to come.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home