I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, October 19, 2009

We pursue that which we value. That's the essence of Jesus' statement in Matthew 6:21 - "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Because of this inseparable connection it is vital that we value the right things, such as wisdom, as the writer of Proverbs admonishes us:

"My son, if you will receive my words And treasure my commandments within you, Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding; For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will discern the fear of the LORD And discover the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity, Guarding the paths of justice, And He preserves the way of His godly ones. Then you will discern righteousness and justice And equity and every good course." (Proverbs 2:1-9)

The descriptive action words and phrases in these verses clearly indicate that the pursuit of wisdom can be no half-hearted effort. Words such as "attentive ... incline ... cry ... lift your voice ... seek her as silver and search for her as hidden treasure" suggest passionate pursuit. The reward for such seekers is genuine awe and knowledge of the Lord God and the wisdom that only He can give. This wisdom becomes the guardian of our steps and the guide for our lifestyle.

I fear that we live in the age of the lukewarm. Surrounded by modern conveniences, life's necessities are easily attainable even by the poorest of us. With the threat of survival removed from our daily existence it is far too easy to live passionless lives. Affluence anesthetizes us such that we dabble in things like justice, outreach, and spirituality rather than passionately pursuing them.

Several years ago I found myself contemplating that which I believed in so strongly that I would be willing to die for. Out of that soul searching came a passionate belief in the great truths of Scripture that today guide my life and ministry. Believing that this day is a day of training to rule the world with Christ at His return is my motivation to get out of bed in the morning. And while this wisdom and knowledge from the Lord is my guard and guide, I sometimes wonder if the lure of the lukewarm has diminished my fervor.

Where is your passion? What do you believe in so strongly that you would be willing to die for? May your answer to these questions drive you in passionate pursuit of that which our Father alone can and will provide.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home