I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sometimes trouble just won't go away. Conflict with a co-worker or family member, financial burdens, the darkness of depression, health issues. We relate to the Psalmist as he speaks of walking "through the valley of the shadow of death" (Psalm 23:4).

The great man of God, King David, was well acquainted with times of trouble and darkness. His candid expressions in the Psalms reveal his heart:

"Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am pining away; Heal me, O LORD, for my bones are dismayed. And my soul is greatly dismayed; But You, O LORD-- how long? Return, O LORD, rescue my soul; Save me because of Your lovingkindness. For there is no mention of You in death; In Sheol who will give You thanks? I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears. My eye has wasted away with grief; It has become old because of all my adversaries." (Psalm 6:2-7)

These may sound like the words of a man destined for the psychiatrist's couch, but it truth they are the honest words of a man in the valley who ultimately foresees rejoicing on the mountain (Psalm 6:8-10)

Trite as it may sound the old saying is true: this too shall pass. Life is full of seasons and ultimately each one - the pleasant and the unpleasant - will pass. A long view of the kingdom of God reminds us that ultimately every season of this life will give way to an unending period of indescribable bliss. But we still live this side of the kingdom, and the road to the Kingdom can be treacherous.

The Apostle Paul realistically described our journey to the Kingdom: "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God." (Acts 14:22). This was the message he shared in "strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith" (Acts 14:22). The cruelest message of all is to proclaim that all will always go well for citizens of the kingdom.

Even our sinless Savior is described as a "man of sorrows", yet His humble obedience ultimately results in God highly exalting Him (Philippians 1:9). And such is our hope.

Troubles will come, and sometimes it seems as though they will not go away. But they will. As David confidently asserted, "the Lord HAS heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord HAS heard my supplication, The Lord RECEIVES my prayer. All my enemies WILL BE ashamed and greatly dismayed" (Psalm 6:8-10 - emphasis added).

If today is a season of trouble, hold on and never lose sight of your ultimate victory.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home