I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Few things are as distressing as family problems. Tension with people we are inseparably bound to in relationship is agonizing but fortunately, even amidst the worst family conflicts, most of us don't have sons who are bent on killing us.

Many of our English Bibles preface Psalm 3 with the words, "A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son." The tragic story is recorded in 2 Samuel 15 and was one of the most agonizing chapters in King David's life. His own son had successfully led an uprising against him and forced him to flee from his home and his throne as king. Although David pleaded for his soldier's to spare Absalom's life he was killed amidst the conflict.

A lesser man of faith would have given in to despair, but David remained resolute amidst this horrific storm. "But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the LORD with my voice, And He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about." (Psalm 3:3-6)

Sleep is often elusive amidst our worst problems but David was able to declare, "I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me." Sounds sleep amidst crisis and trial is a tribute to resolute faith.

Of the various crises you have faced thus far in life, have any of them overwhelmed you? If they had you would not be reading these words today. The fact is, our Father has sustained, provided and protected thus far in each of our lives. The outcome may not always have been as we had wished but the fact remains that He has intervened. And that is the precedent for what He will for us in the future.

David's incredible faith and optimism was based on God's "track record" in his life thus far, and so he could say, "I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about." This was not idealistic wishful thinking; this is rock-solid faith for today based upon God's work in the past.

Life is full of challenges and you may be facing a special challenge just now in your life. The basis for optimism and faith amidst this challenge is God's work and provision in the past. As He has provided in the past, so He will today.

May you find His strength and sense His shield today and always.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home