I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Monday, October 05, 2009

We're getting ready to shout even while we're crying.

"Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

This present age, in contrast to those who would call it an age of enlightenment, is in reality an era of darkness. The daily news is a catalog of injustice and atrocities that so well characterizes this age of weeping and grief.

"But you, brethren, are not in darkness ... for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness" (1 Thessalonians 5:4-5). We live in this age of darkness but we don't belong to it. Our destiny is The Day.

A "shout of joy comes in the morning" (Psalm 30:5). How many times have loads seemed lighter, or illnesses eased when morning comes? Imagine the relief when the ultimate Morning dawns! The shouting will overwhelm the previous night's grieving.

By nature I'm not a morning person. The bane of my existence is the inconvenient shriek of the morning alarm. But these days my morning walk coincides with the darkness of night giving way to the bluish-yellow glow of dawn, and there is something awe-inspiring in seeing the birth of a new day, ripe with possibilities and potential. Who knows? This day could be That Day.

The believer's true reality is not the sirens of this day's calamities and tragedies but rather the joy of the Age To Come, and I would prefer to live this day in the hope and expectation of that Day. That perspective allows us to see the shackles and burdens of this age as light and temporary.

As we live this day as though it were That Day we can declare with the Psalmist, "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever." (Psalm 30:11-12).

Let's do some shouting today.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home