I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The death of a marriage is a failure to love and appreciate one's spouse. It is spiritual death to do the same with our Father. I'll dare say that the greatest sin is not what we do in disobedience but in falling out of love with our Father and losing our child-like awe of Him.

A number of people that I know have discovered and grown to appreciate that the God of the ages has a name, Yahweh. The Jewish people have historically known this to be the name of God but in reverence have been extremely cautious in writing or saying The Name. A proper respect and awe of both the being and the name is vital.

The One True God Yahweh pronounced judgment upon the people of Israel because they had lost their sense of awe of Him. Through His prophet Amos He warned them to "Prepare to meet your God, O Israel." (Amos 4:12). His warning is following by a self-description that ought to generate renewed love and awe by all who read:

"For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind And declares to man what are His thoughts, He who makes dawn into darkness And treads on the high places of the earth, The LORD (Yahweh) God of hosts is His name." (Amos 4:13).

These are truths that I know, but I wonder if I REALLY know them? My head acknowledges the Father's self-description, but does my heart? Do I stand starry-eyed in His presence, or has "maturity" and learning diminished my awe of Him?

I've lately become convinced of the need to wait silently before Him in order to grow in my appreciation of Him. A recent group prayer experience of solitude has helped heighten my awareness of the Creator of all who fills all and is in all. The truth that we can know Him if we are still before Him is more real than ever.

If our lives are devoid of times of silence and solitude it is certain that we are losing our awe of our Father. May we return to the silence and discover a fresh awareness and awe of the God Yahweh who waits there for us.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home