I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You just never know where he's going to show up.

"Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it." He was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." (Genesis 28:16-17)

A night under the stars with a rock for a pillow was the setting for a dramatic encounter with God for Jacob. The presence of God transformed an unimpressive setting into the very house of God and left Jacob in profound awe.

The lesson and application for us is pretty simple but equally awe-inspiring: when God shows up the ordinary is transformed into the extraordinary. A non-descript setting becomes the very dwelling place of God.

I remember an evening several years ago when I had a powerful emotional experience. Several church members were present as I poured out my heart before the Lord in prayer with many tears. Several commented later that they had never sensed the Spirit of God present as they did that night.

I recall later opening the Bible and sensing its words being alive in way I had not experienced before - or since. His word and His presence came alive as I read at our very ordinary kitchen table. That brief moment and place became a 'Bethel' to me.

I've had several 'Bethel' moments along the way that have shaped me spiritually. I doubt I'll fully understand their significance this side of the Kingdom, but I stand in awe of my Father who chose to reveal Himself for reasons He alone knows. He took the initiative.

The exciting possibility of this day and moment is that it can be transformed into a 'Bethel'. Your work, school, or household routine can in an instant be transformed into the very dwelling place of God. And you will never be the same again when it happens.

One theme that is abundantly evident in Scripture is this: God has chosen numerous times to initiate life-changing encounters with His people. And that possibility still exists today!

May the God of Bethel initiate a life-changing 'Bethel' experience with you today.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home