I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Friday, June 08, 2007

Good morning -

It's not one of my proudest moments. I was driving in my car and shaking an angry fist at God. I had been a pastor for only a short time, and I don't even remember what I was angry with God about, but I was angry enough to vent my frustration. I vaguely remember other cars around me on the busy street that was the scene of my indignation, and I can only imagine what their reactions must have been.

That scene leaves me with remorse, but I'm relieved to know that even a great prophet like Jeremiah had such moments:

"O LORD, You have deceived me and I was deceived; You have overcome me and prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; Everyone mocks me." (Jeremiah 20:7)

It's pretty strong language to accuse the Lord of deception. I'm certain that Jeremiah didn't really believe that, but his comments give insight into very human frustration and anger such as any of us are prone to.

I can appreciate Jeremiah's dilemma when he says, "But if I say, "I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name," Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot endure it." (Jeremiah 20:9). When God calls us to be His representative, turning away isn't an option. His word in our lives becomes like a burning fire that cannot be quenched; keeping it to ourselves results in the ultimate case of heartburn:).

Let's face it: the journey of faith has some very frustrating moments. There are times when God seems silent, and other times when God seems totally unfair. Turning away and living the life of an agnostic is appealing, but then His call and word are too real to ignore. We ultimately choose to hold on in faith regardless of whether the journey makes sense.

I'll dare say that at least one person reading this is frustrated and confused at the way of the Lord; maybe enough to be seething in anger or discouraged and disheartened enough to contemplate giving it all up. If that's your experience today, you're in good company with great people of faith such as Jeremiah and Elijah. Even the strongest person of faith has such moments, so hang on in faith if that's where you are today. It will one day make sense, but maybe not even in our lifetime.

I don't think I've shaken an angry fist at God since that infamous day years ago, but I'm sure I have in my mind many times since. I'm glad for His grace and forgiveness and His willingness to keep me on the Kingdom path in spite of myself.

Grateful and humbled,

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home