I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Good afternoon -

We've probably all heard it said, "you are what you eat." I've never been quite clear about what that means, but I'm especially troubled when I've eaten fruit and nuts:). I suppose the real meaning is that healthy food makes for a healthy person and vice versa.

It seems that Jeremiah the prophet developed a "sweet tooth" for a particular type of food, and so should we:

"Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts." (Jeremiah 15:16)

For most of my life I've respected the Bible as God's Word. That respect led me to regularly read it, more out of duty and obligation than genuine enthusiasm. One of the greatest discoveries of my life has been the sense of joy and fulfillment that I have found in realizing that these words provide true daily nourishment. I've gone from obligatory reading to real feasting. Granted, there are passages that I read and wonder how they will really impact my life, but then I don't fully understand the process of digestion when I eat a meal yet I know I'm nourished.

Approaching God's word not only from the perspective of "what does it say?", but also from "what does it say to me?" can make a tremendous difference. If His word is truly living and active (Hebrews 4:12) then it will leap from the pages of the Bible into out hearts and minds and provide all the nourishment that it can uniquely provide.

You really are what you eat - physically, mentally, and spiritually. There are numerous Bible passages that remind us to carefully select the food that we serve our mind, and nothing is more important than choosing the best nourishment of all that God has selected for us - His Word.

May you find both joy and nourishment in a rich feast of God's Word today.

Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home