I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Good morning -


I'll confess: sometimes I'm self-absorbed. It's amazing how big and important my world can be all the while that I almost forget the worlds of other people. Some of the greatest moments in life have been when others have taken the time to talk to me about me, and those moments have been a springboard for doing the same with others. But, I'll confess that it's much too easy to dabble at this rather than for it to be a lifestyle.


Romans 15:1-3 tells us, "Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification. For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, "THE REPROACHES OF THOSE WHO REPROACHED YOU FELL ON ME."


Life is seasonal; sometimes we are strong and sometimes we are weak. In moments of weakness we need the strength of others, and in moments of strength it's good to be "other-focused" on those who are weak and in need of our strength. In weakness or strength each of us are called to "please his neighbor for his good, to his edification". Such is the pattern of Jesus.
The world has never seen One who made others His agenda as Jesus did. The coming ruler of all of God's creation chose an "other-centered" agenda for His own. His sacrificial death became the ultimate symbol of that agenda.


I've become absorbed with the "magnificent obsession" of Jesus, the kingdom of God. I've found much richer purpose and meaning in life since I've more fully discovered the truth about the King and His Kingdom, but I sometimes resist the implications of this discovery. If I am to live today under the reality of the coming Kingdom I will become other-centered rather than self-centered, even as the King of the Kingdom was and is. My world needs to take a back seat to the worlds of others.


I'm discovering that the joy of others is a key motivation in sharing these daily thoughts with you. If the Lord can use these words to encourage and build you up then I am indeed blessed; the time and effort is an investment rather than a sacrifice.


So, let me leave you with words from the Apostle Paul that were a blessing to me today. If they bless you as they have me then my life will be a bit brighter today.


"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13)


Seeking to serve the King and His Kingdom by serving His people,


Pastor Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home