I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

He was hidden in a cave, expecting to be found and killed at any time. Relentlessly pursued by the enemy, the end was potentially moments away. Where does one's thoughts turn in those dark, desperate hours?

The cave refugee in focus here is not on overthrown Middle Easter despot dictator, but rather King David of Israel. Psalm 142 records the prayer of this man of God, hunkered down in a damp, dark cave.

"I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD; I make supplication with my voice to the LORD. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path. In the way where I walk They have hidden a trap for me. Look to the right and see; For there is no one who regards me; There is no escape for me; No one cares for my soul. I cried out to You, O LORD; I said, 'You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living. Give heed to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are too strong for me. Bring my soul out of prison, So that I may give thanks to Your name; The righteous will surround me, For You will deal bountifully with me." (Psalm 142:1-7)

Mingled with desperate thoughts and concerns is an abiding sense of faith and hope. With no certainty of rescue, David's thoughts are of his ultimate deliverance by the God who had made great promises to him. And, we know the rest of the story - he was delivered to see many more years, and God's great blessings.

There are plenty of times when we are figuratively holed up in a cave, surrounded by threatening circumstances. Adversity and opposition threaten to consume us, and the short-term outcome is anything but certain. But, these times of trials are the school of spiritual learning and growth. Faith is sharpened; true priorities brought more clearly into focus. When our Father seems most distant, and His voice silent, we truly walk by faith, and not by sight.

The record of the Bible is condensed such that we easily think God spoke frequently to men of old such as David and Abraham. But, a careful study of their lives and times reveal that there were many years of silence and faith. Such as it is with us: there are rare moments of clarity, but there are large stretches of time when we walk in unseen faith. Uncertainty and adversity threaten, but faith sustains us when our God seems most silent and distant.

The call is for us to live our lives expectantly, as David did. "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living ... The righteous will surround me, For You will deal bountifully with me." Whatever the short-term prospects are for our lives, the long-term prospects are bright and promising beyond our ability to imagine. Let us live hopefully and expectantly amidst uncertain times as his people today.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home