I CAN SEE IT NOW:

EXPERIENCING TOMORROW'S REALITY TODAY -- Daily Bible Study Devotionals

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pulling a load of bricks on a pallet up an incline would be stupid if a forklift was available. The timeless wisdom - work smarter, not harder - would definitely apply here. It is pointless to expend energy when work can be done easier.

"Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, To retire late, To eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep." (Psalm 127:1-2)

We've not been promised a walk on easy street as the people of God, but we easily work too hard when we choose our own pathways and projects. The all-too-common approach is to develop our plan, take action, and then ask God's blessings on our project. Problem is, what we devise can easily be something that isn't even on our Father's radar. As a Christian writer popularly stated a few years ago, the ideal is to diligently seek out where God is already at work, and partner with Him there.

I've hatched more than my share of plans and ideas that I thought would be good for the progress of the kingdom of God. Sincere as I was in planning, I now more clearly see the arrogance of presuming that God needed me to develop plans on His behalf. As such, many of these "houses" were vain labor. They were little more than the meaningless slave labor task of digging a hole, and then filling it back in later in the day. Work expended on personal plans is futile labor unless the project is God's initiative.

I'm participating in some extended prayer and meditation time these days. What I'm beginning to discover is that I'm not a very good listener. My own plans and ideas easily shove their way to the forefront when I'm trying to be still and know that God is God. I'm piling up bricks for houses God doesn't intend to build. So, I'm slowly learning to quietly humble myself - without presumption and plans - so that I can get on board with His projects.

What are you trying to do today by your own effort that is your plan, and not His? What are you trying to guard and build that is unproductive? Let's pull our personal blueprints off the table, and replace them with His. Let's participate in His projects and plans, and enjoy the benefits and results that truly advance the kingdom of God. Time and energy are too precious to waste on personal pursuits.

Seeking a day of productivity for us all, participating in His plans with His power.

Steve
©Steve Taylor, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home